1863. Charles Hatwood's business comprised hairdresser and a toy shop. Note the barber's pole over the High Street. CLICK IMAGE TO ENLARGE.
1890. April Fair. Note first bay window. Also compare the building top left in this photograph with the 1863 photograph. CLICK IMAGE TO ENLARGE.
c. 1905. Charles Hatwood's son ran the shop until 1909 when G.H.Saunders moved his ironmongery business from Adam and Eve Street. CLICK IMAGE TO ENLARGE.
1910. Note the tarpaulin over the first floor where windows are being replaced by plate glass. CLICK IMAGE TO ENLARGE.
1911. Edward VII's coronation year. Note the writing on the window "Coronation lamps 1s 3d a dozen. CLICK IMAGE TO ENLARGE.
1955. The two top floors have been replaced by a new structure, which is supported by five RSJs secured in the cellar. CLICK IMAGE TO ENLARGE.
2000. Mawer and Saunders moved out of the premises in 1995, when China Town started trading. CLICK IMAGE TO ENLARGE.
In the cellar are concrete cubes. The building was designed so that at some future date the ground and first floors could be removed and rebuilt, leaving the top floor standing.CLICK IMAGE TO ENLARGE.
An artist's impression of how the premises might look sometime in the future with the ground and first floors removed prior to rebuilding. By the early 1950s, the building, now over 180 years old, was in urgent need of refurbishment, particularly the top floor. An architect, Mr Rowan, was consulted, and it was decided to remove the top floor and rebuild it. This would be supported by five RSJs (rolled steel joists) which were to be set into five cubes of concrete in the cellar, each being one metre square. Thus the top floor would stand independently to the rest of the shop, which could be independently renewed at some later date. Hickmans, the local builders, did the work and the shop remained open for business the whole time. CLICK IMAGE TO ENLARGE.